Holy Scripture 聖訓翻譯 by 邦加羅爾弘濟禪寺
Filial piety is the greatest strength in this world.
Filial piety is the most beautiful behavior on Earth.
Filial piety is the most precious possession in life.
Filial piety is the most touching inheritance in history.
~ Holy Scripture 2 ~
Being filial is the inherent nature of mankind.
Being filial is expected of every child.
Being filial is fundamental to handling people and matters.
Being filial is the basic criteria for establishing our character and making our behavior upright.
~ Holy Scripture 3 ~
The mission of an angel is to spread the good news from heaven.
The wish of an angel is to continue and, subsequently, pass on the lineage of Tao.
The responsibility of an angel is to spread the seeds of Tao.
The hands of an angel carry the holy lamp for all sentient beings.
The aspiration of an angel is to save mankind.
The wings of an angel fly him around the world.
~ Holy Scripture 4 ~
The four keys to success are:
1. Complain less and be less calculative
2. Cherish our fortune and be more dedicated
3. Value ourselves and seek for improvements
4. Save people widely and spread our universal love
~ Holy Scripture 5 ~
Hope is given to those who constantly show great enthusiasm.
Success is given to those who persevere until the end.
Good health is given to those who cultivate their body and mind.
Wealth is given to those who are hardworking, thrifty, and willing to contribute for the benefit of others.
Joy is given to those who are always grateful.
Happiness is given to those who are content.
Tranquility is given to those who can feel at ease in all situations.
Good fortune and harmony are given to those who cherish everything.
Wisdom is given to those who learn humbly.
Mission is given to those who are willing to shoulder the responsibility.
Opportunity is given to those who are fully prepared.
Heavenly lotus is given to those who have gained complete enlightenment and perfected their deeds.
~ Holy Scripture 6 ~
Do your best to take your duty and set good examples
Enlighten others and be a good disciple
Volunteer to practice Tao and make yourself supple
Orient yourself without scruple
Take more time and help people
Enter the greatest Tao way and invite others to come to the temple
~ Holy Scripture 7 ~
We must be forgiving towards others.
We must bear all the slanders.
We must be humble enough to accept constructive advices.
We must tolerate all affairs.
~ Holy Scripture 8 ~
When the heart has decided, changes in events does not cause any alarm.
When the heart is calm, the mind thinks clearly.
When the heart is at peace, everything is done perfectly.
When the heart thinks deeply, every step taken serves a purpose.
When the heart has attained its goals, it understands the real taste of life.
~ Holy Scripture 9 ~
From a person’s speech, one can tell his cultivation level.
From a person’s behavior, one can tell his inner qualities.
From a person’s attitude, one can foretell his future achievements.
From a person’s character, one can predict his destiny.
~ Holy Scripture 10 ~
Fellow cultivators and propagators of Tao should:· Give in to one another courteously, and harbor not a calculative mind
· Trust one another, and remember not the past faults of others
· Respect one another, and fulfill our responsibilities
· Value and help one another
· Help one another to achieve perfection, and use our strengths to make up for the weaknesses of others
· Prioritize the work of God, and eliminate our ego
· Control our emotions, and place importance on harmony
· Conduct ourselves with dignity, and align our words with our actions
· Set good examples, and use our virtues to touch others
· Avoid any form of discrimination, and work together for the propagation of Tao
~ Holy Scripture 11 ~
(This scripture speaks of Cause and Effect, and that it is better to take actions than to only hope for all the good things in life.)
Rather than to merely seek for good fortune, it is better to be a vegetarian and make contributions.
Rather than to merely ask for longevity, it is better to abstain from killing and set free sentient beings.
Rather than to merely pray for peace, it is better to avoid quarrels and gossips.
Rather than to merely hope for intelligence, it is better to learn extensively.
~ Holy Scripture 12 ~
A cultivator should:
· Be grateful, making no complaints
· Be understanding, never shifting the blame to other people
· Be respectful, not forceful
· Give blessings, never bringing destruction
· Co-operate, never differentiating among one another
· Show care and concern, never being calculative
· Trust, never suspecting each other
· Give without asking for anything in return
· Be humble, eliminating arrogance
· Think of the public, having no small ego
~ Holy Scripture 13 ~
Use this life to promise our dedication to cultivate and propagate Tao.
Use this life to fulfill our vows to do the work of Tao.
Use this life to complete our duty to save sentient beings.
Use this life to shoulder the mission to salvage the world.
Use this life to perfect all of our affinities.
Use this life to help sentient beings accomplish their holy missions.
Use this life to build myriads of good affinities for our future rebirths.
Use this life to learn the virtue of forgiveness.
~ Holy Scripture 14 ~
In a world full of trends, people worship their idols blindly. Those with power dominate the weaker parties, and ancient teachings on righteousness and benevolence are on the decline.
Everyone competes to emerge as the strongest and most capable; eccentric behavior is now seen as stylish. People who abide by the laws are called “stupid”; our sense of humanity has deteriorated. How can we disregard such an important thing? Our true self has indeed lost control over this body.
~ Holy Scripture 15 ~
How to cultivate ourselves in the White Era:
· Do not impose unnecessary restrictions on ourselves
· Do not start an eccentric trend
· Change our bad habits and shortcomings
· Set clear goals
· Persevere until the end
· Overcome frustrations
~ Holy Scripture 16 ~Do not think what is contrary to propriety. This is of ultimate importance. The mind must be set under control in order to eliminate worldly desires.
Do not see what is contrary to propriety. Be far from lustful thoughts so as to purify the mind and build a bright future.
Do not listen to what is contrary to propriety, such as gossips and words of slander. This way, worries can be transformed into seeds of Bodhicitta.
Do not speak what is contrary to propriety. Establish the virtues and integrate Tao into the heart. Thus brightness shall appear and the accumulated virtues will be as high as the mountains.
~ Holy Scripture 17 ~
Why cultivators cannot guard their heart of Tao and withdraw from cultivation:
· They do not make obeisance to Holy Beings
· They do not believe in the dharma
· They do not respect fellow cultivators
· They make people break their vegetarian precept
· They do not believe in karma
· They slighted the saints and sages
· They slander kind-hearted people
~ Holy Scripture 18 ~We must:
· Follow the middle path in our cultivation and propagation of Tao
· Be gentle to people
· Remain undisturbed by failures
· Interact with people harmoniously
· Build a sense of togetherness in Tao community
· Keep our composure in face of trials and tribulations
· Accommodate each other
· Be forgiving, humble and gentle
~ Holy Scripture 19 ~
Let us examine our heart – are we fair towards everyone?
Let us examine our behavior – do we save sentient beings unconditionally?
Let us examine our thoughts – do we think with the correct understanding and correct mindset?
Let us examine our deeds – do we follow the deeds of the saints and sages?
~ Holy Scripture 20 ~
A cultivator and propagator of Tao must have:
· Wisdom to handle matters relating to humans affairs
· Perseverance to overcome big spiritual tests
· Determination to walk through very difficult stages
· Willingness to give up his ego in order to rediscover his true nature
· An understanding about the current era in order to know God’s will
· Constant self-introspection in order to improve
· An enlightened true self in order to awaken himself and then others
· Qualities of pure water in order to benefit sentient beings
~ Holy Scripture 21 ~
· There is a decline in our morality when we like to hold high position and have access to all the luxuries
· There is a decline in our chances of success when we ignore people’s feedback and persist with our opinion
· There is a decline in our tolerance when we find difficulty in accepting people’s advice
· There is a decline in our wisdom when we start having qualms, and reconsider our devotion to Tao
· There is a decline in our self-discipline when we turn overly-suspicious, and engage in secret talks
· There is a decline in our commitment towards the holy mission when we shift the holy responsibility to others, or perform our duties without a conscientious mind
· There is a decline in our foundation when we face problems beyond our anticipation
~ Holy Scripture 22 ~A cultivator:
· Resolves problems using his unwavering faith
· Eradicates dangers using his strong mentality
· Dissolves unreasonable oppositions in a resolute manner
· Erases worries with determination
· Accepts reality by setting goals for himself
· Paves his cultivation path by being sure of his own targets
~ Holy Scripture 23 ~
A true cultivator must have:
· 100% enthusiasm in learning about Tao
· 100% faith in Tao
· 100% spirit in serving people
· 100% readiness to sacrifice himself
· 100% resolute heart of Tao
· 100% strict cultivation
· 100% heart of gratitude
· 100% heart of Bodhisattva
· 100% courage to invite people for initiation
· 100% vow to save the world
~ Holy Scripture 24 ~
A cultivator should use his energy to work hard, not to compete and plot against others. This means he should strive to bring glory to his family instead of bringing harm to others. Therefore:
· When both parties tolerate each other, there will be no more quarrels between them
· When both parties give in to each other, there will be no more arguments between them
· When both parties empathize with each other, there will be no more hatred between them
· When both parties forgive each other, there will be no more complaints between them
~ Holy Scripture 25 ~
· Set high expectations on ourselves
· Be filial towards our parents
· Be affectionate towards our siblings
· Be respectful towards our seniors
· Provide guidance for the juniors
· Be helpful towards our fellow cultivators
· Be compassionate towards sentient beings
· Be devoted to the Tao community
· Assume the holy responsibilities
· Be wholehearted towards our holy missions
~ Holy Scripture 26 ~
Wine, lust, wealth and anger will harm the body. Thus a simple person who has little desires will enjoy a good life.
Greed, hatred, ignorance and selfish love will harm the soul. Thus a content and philosophical person will enjoy a good life.
Killing animals in a cruel manner will shorten our lifespan. Thus a person who sets free animals and abstains from killing will enjoy a long life.
Retaining all the good things for our personal enjoyments will disadvantage us. Thus a person who renders kindness to others will enjoy good fortune.
~ Holy Scripture 27 ~
Even if we are extremely intelligent and have vast knowledge like the saints, we must still hide our capabilities.
Even if our meritorious deed is as great as the whole universe, we must still modestly decline the recognition.
Even if we have enough courage and strength to pacify the world, we must still have some feelings of fear inside us.
Even if our wealth can fill the oceans, we must still be humble and never show-off.
~ Holy Scripture 28 ~
Do not insult people in an arrogant manner. Instead, we should point out their mistakes using an upright and humble heart.
Do not blame people angrily. Instead, we should advise them calmly.
Do not hurt people like a tyrant. Instead, we should clear all disputes peacefully.
Do not glare at people haughtily. Instead, we should be careful with our actions, and behave in an amiable and humble manner.
Do not harm people with an evil heart. Instead, we should chase away all evils using an extremely righteous heart.
~ Holy Scripture 29 ~
A cultivator must:· Self-reflect, in order to avoid being blamed by others
· Examine himself, in order to understand why others slander him
· Be humble, in order to listen to the advices of others
· Show respect, in order to earn respect from others
· Be tolerant, in order to dissolve the humiliations and insults from others
· Be devoted, in order to let people believe in him
· Give his best, in order to repay the kindness of people who have trusted him with the task
~ Holy Scripture 30 ~
It is easy to have no regrets,
but difficult to have no complaints.
It is easy to bear hardships,
but difficult to bear complaints.
It is easy to be sincere,
but difficult to maintain the sincerity.
It is easy to make a resolution,
but difficult to do our best.
It is easy to be wholehearted,
but difficult to sustain our efforts.
It is easy to sustain our efforts,
but difficult to be unconditional in our deeds.
~ Holy Scripture 31 ~
(Ten Regrets In Life)
1. We will regret not learning from the master…
after the master leaves
2. We will regret not befriending the virtuous…
after we say our farewells
3. We will regret not being filial to parents…
after they pass away
4. We will regret not acting righteously…
after the opportunity is gone
5. We will regret not uprooting a danger…
after we ourselves fall into that danger
6. We will regret not being loyal to our employers… after we resign from the post
7. We will regret not contributing monetarily…
after we lose the money
8. We will regret not believing in karma…
after facing the retributions
9. We will regret not maintaining our sincerity…
after we get eliminated from the spiritual path
10. We will regret not cultivating ourselves…
after leaving this world
~ Holy Scripture 32 ~
Do not exhaust our power.
Do not exhaust our good fortune.
Do not exhaust people’s goodwill towards us.
Do not exhaust our intelligence.
~ Holy Scripture 33 ~
Humans know it is nice to be an immortal in heaven, yet they cannot put aside their fame and worldly achievements. But where are all the great generals and ministers of the past? All that remains is a graveyard covered with grasses.
Humans know it is nice to be an immortal in heaven, yet they cannot put aside their wealth. But when the God of Death arrives, even millions of dollars worth of assets cannot be exchanged for our life.
Humans know it is nice to be an immortal in heaven, yet they cannot put aside their other half. But even the most loving couple in this world must go their separate ways when they reach the underworld.
Humans know it is nice to be an immortal in heaven, yet they cannot put aside their children and grandchildren. But how many descendants these days can emulate the filial children of the past? Many people now prefer to spread their wings wide and fly away from their hometown, leaving no trace behind.
~ Holy Scripture 34 ~
(Six Benefits Of Lighting Up The Lamp)
1. The brightness of the lamp lets pedestrians see the road ahead clearly. Thus one who lights up the lamp shall have sharp eyesight.
2. The brightness of the lamp lets pedestrians travel free of worries and considerations. Thus one who lights up the lamp shall be happy and joyful.
3. The brightness of the lamp lets pedestrians not step on dirty mud. Thus one who lights up the lamp shall have a clean living environment.
4. The brightness of the lamp